“Hearing and be Heard”
Specially tailored for people with hearing loss
What happens when you have a hearing loss and you haven’t heard what someone is saying? Will you let them know you have a hearing loss and how to talk so you can hear them best? Or will you fake that you’ve heard what they’ve said and bluff an answer as best as you can. In addition, will you look for the smallest hearing aids so that people wouldn’t see them rather than getting the hearing aids that will work best for you?
I know for myself bluffing was my default. I didn’t want to be associated with those negative stereotypes of hearing loss like slow, stupid, less intelligent, snob, or out of it.
What happened when I bluffed? Many things and none of them good. I would:
1) Hear enough to get the gist of the conversation and so was able to answer intelligently.
I would feel a tremendous sigh of relief that I’d given the right answer and knew what’s going on.
2) Hear enough to construct an answer that made sense but was not really sure what person said or if I had made a commitment to do something.
This left me feeling off balance, worrying about what I may have committed to.
3) Hear incorrectly and so gave an answer out of context.
I felt like a jerk. Nothing else needs to be said. In addition, these faux pas only feed the impression that people with a hearing loss aren’t quite right mentally.
4) Nod my head wildly hoping I’d given the right gestures but have little to no idea what’s being said.
This was painful. I was out of the loop and this was painful for me.
If any of these scenarios are familiar to you, you know that not knowing or not being sure what’s being said has many negative side effects. – You know you’re out of what’s going on and that makes you feel stupid, frustrated and as a result worthless, withdrawn and depressed.
It doesn’t have to be this way. I know. I’ve been there. I spent years being this way. But no more.
That’s what “Hearing and be Heard” is all about. In this special coaching program, we provide a structured approach to understanding the ways in which your communications skills can be improved based on reliable psychological principles and practices of the Hearing Loss Revolution.
As a result of this program, you will find it easy to let people know you have a hearing loss, and letting people know how to talk to you so you can hear them best. And most importantly, you will associate your hearing loss with what it is … a hearing disorder and nothing else. That way we can focus on our Abilities and not our disabilities.
We offer three levels of “Hearing and be Heard”:
Level 1 – “Hear and be Heard”
- 2-week program, meeting once a week, at a fee of $85. After 2-week program, we will be happy to extend it at $50 a session.
- We will meet by phone, Skype or IM, depending on your communication preference. (In-person coaching for those wihin driving distance of Madison, NJ).
- Week 1: Together we’ll discuss your needs and how to best tailor the program to these needs.
- Week 2: Review Hearing Loss Revolution and Its Nine Guiding Principles and how to use it to benefit you.
- Follow up positive emails once a month for three months
Level 2 – “Hear and be Heard Accelerated Communication Skills Program”
- Six-week program, meeting once a week, at fee of $250 including charges for Communication Assessment material. After the first six weeks, we will be happy to extend course at $50 a session.
- We will meet by phone, Skype or IM, depending on your communication preference. (In-person coaching for those within driving distance of Madison, NJ).
- Week 1: Together we’ll assess your specific situation and how to best tailor program to your needs. In addition, we will assess your communications style through the Myers-Briggs Assessment tool.
- Week 2: Review Hearing Loss Revolution and Its Nine Guiding Principles.
- Week 3 – 6: Individualized coaching to help you apply the Principles to your daily life and based on your communication style. Our focus is on your abilities and not your disabilities.
- Follow up positive emails once a month for 12 months
Level 3 – “Hear and be Heard Extended Coaching Program”
- This is especially for business executives, team leaders, organizational leaders and others who have a hearing loss for whom good communications skills are a professional necessity.
- We will meet by phone, Skype or IM, depending on your communication preference. (In-person coaching for those within driving distance of Madison, NJ). This program requires a six-month commitment, where coach and client meet two to three times a month.
- It is similar to the accelerated program beginning with assessments and review of the “Hearing Loss Revolution and its Nine Guiding Principles”.
- It includes sales skills and strategies to help you motivate your team/organization.
- Extended Coaching Program is individualized to meet each client’s unique needs and preferences.
- Fee is $1,500 for six months. After the first six months, clients may extend their contracts on a month-to-month basis at a fee of $250/month.
Passion for Helping People
From a young age I was the person that people went to when they were troubled. This developed eventually into my Coaching Practice.
My Practice revolves around the belief that everyone knows what is best for themselves. They know what they should do so that they will live a happy life and realize their potential. But sometimes this information is hidden. It is my job to help them find these answers that they already have.